I am really excited to share this recipe with you! The lovely @flavoredbyfatima contacted me a few weeks ago and asked if I’d like to try one of her recipes? Being the curry fan that I am and knowing how much you all love a bit of spice, I thought, why not? Fatima was the winner of TV cooking show @foodfightabc in America 2019. Originally from Pakistan, she now lives in Chicago. Give her a follow as you will love her recipes. Marsala Chops is next on my list....
Murgh Cholay is basically a chicken and chickpea curry, a Punjabi delicacy and is loved for its spicy and tangy flavors. Her recipe was fantastic and I loved the idea of following a truly authentic recipe from Pakistan.
* 8 pcs Bone-in Chicken (I used chicken thighs)
* 1⁄4 cup Oil
* 1 tbsp ginger garlic (I used 4 cloves crushed garlic & 3 teaspoons grated ginger)
* 1 Large onion finely diced
* 2 medium tomatoes diced
* 1 can chickpeas drained and washed low sodium
* 1⁄2 tsp crushed red pepper (I used chilli flakes)
* 1⁄4 tsp paprika
* 1⁄4 tsp garam masala
* 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
* tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tbsp roasted cumin coriander powder
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* tsp chaat masala (I used medium curry powder)
* 1 cup water
* salt to taste
* cilantro for garnish (coriander)
1. Heat oil in a skillet, to this add finely diced onions.
2. Once the onions are golden brown, add the chicken to the skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides.
3. Now add ginger and garlic to the the chicken and mix well.
4. Season the chicken with salt, crushed pepper, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, roasted cumin and coriander powder. Mix well!
5. Now add the tomatoes to the skillet, mix, put the flame on high, cover the skillet to steam cook the tomatoes for 15 minutes.
6. At this point add your chickpeas and lemon juice and stir to combine. Now add 1 cup water to make the gravy.
7. Cover the pan and cook on medium high for 20 minutes.
Continued in comments...
8. Check on the gravy, if its your desired consistency, turn off the flame. Sprinkle it with some chaat masala and garnish with cilantro.
9. Your gravy is ready!
10. Serve it with steamed rice or roti and salad.